Unfortunately, it is still occurring, just not 100% of the time anymore.
In general, it requires anywhere between 1 and 10 tries to start up the
X server successfully.  Somewhat oddly, it seems to always start up
successfully immediately after installing an xserver package update, as
well as after booting into OSX. (I'm on a Macbook...)  After that, it is
back to being random.

Also, while the behaviour is the same as before, I haven't been able to
locate a similar segmentation fault as the one I originally posted in
any more logs.  Also interestingly, every time it freezes, the caps lock
key still responds, however, if I try and switch VT (Ctrl-alt-f1) then
it really locks up and nothing responds.

FYI this is now after the 2.6.32.18 kernel updates and everything else
as of Mar 30th.

--
X hangs on startup
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.