I'll try this again tonight and see if I can find a UI process that's at
fault.

To clarify, this is not an installed system, but rather the live CD
(actually the live USB stick) system installation image of Lucid Lynx
beta 1. It continues to be a problem in the nightly build I grabbed last
week. It is occurs on my Acer 1410 laptop with Intel video but not on an
older desktop (don't recall the video, but it was not Intel).

The problem occurs immediately upon bootup of the live installation
image, when the "select a language" dialog appears, before you even get
to the desktop. If you manage to select a language and proceed, it
continues as the desktop is drawn.

--
blinking display, high CPU utilization by xorg
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.