Quite difficult, because I do not have ways to debug from an other system and
at the moment the system crashes my debugger crashes too :(
But as far as I advanced Windows loads, VGA graphics are initialized, User logs
on, then further graphics initializations are performed. Part of this is
installing an IRQ handler for the graphics adapter. Finally graphics resolution
is set to what the user adjusted it and then IRQs are enabled again.

Booting Linux from power off state loads the kernel and initdisk, Then
control is transfered to the kernel. There is *no* IRQ handler
installed. Calling X11 then enables the IRQ for the graphics adapter. As
soon as one IRQ is generated, the whole system freezes, because the IRQ
handler points to useless code.

If I've booted Windows (or systemrescuecd) before, the handler,
installed and initialized, handles the IRQ, as it did with Windows (or
systemrescuecd) running. Since both handlers do not call any other code
they work as expected even if the system changes.

I could not find any way to deactivate IRQ allocation for the graphics
adapter. But enabling memory testing wiped the installed handler. With
memory testing enabled it wasn't possible to boot Ubuntu 10.04 beta! The
system froze as soon as it tried to access graphics, generating an IRQ.

With an Vanilla kernel right from kernel.org I could make the whole
thing work too. Leading to conclusion that some patch from Ubuntu must
have side effects removing the IRQ handler install for the graphics
adapter.

--
[K8M800] Xorg freeze / Kernel 2.6.32-10-generic freeze
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-openchrome in ubuntu.