Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Using a default installation of Lucid Beta 2 (installed onto a USB
stick), the system is borderline unusable because of extremely slow
visual response.  This was the case with a daily build that I tested
several days ago, as well as both a default and an up-to-date
installation of Beta 2.  These issues only happen with Compiz enabled.

Clicking on 'Applications' quickly pops up the menu (though not with the
smooth fade I've come to expect from Compiz).  When I move my mouse from
'Applications' to 'Places,' though, it takes nearly 3 seconds to hide
the 'Applications' menu and draw the 'Places' menu.  Similarly,
attempting to resize or move a window does nothing for the first couple
seconds, and when the window does finally move, the redrawing is
choppier than an uncomposited Metacity.

This is a major regression compared to the Karmic and Jaunty, which both
ran Compiz flawlessly out of the box with the default Radeon driver.
Disabling Compiz makes the system usable.

Ubuntu 10.04 Beta 2
AMD64
Diamond Radeon x1300

If there's more I can do to help, I'd be glad to.  I've spent the last
several minutes trying to record a video of the problem, but
recordMyDesktop keeps crashing.  If I can get it to work, I'll post the
video here.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

** Tags: needs-lspci-vvnn needs-xorglog

--
[Lucid Beta 2] System unusable with Compiz due to extremely slow redrawing (of
menus, window movements, selections...)