Per my query to Steve Langasek, he instructed me to submit a new bug. I
have tried 5 downloads of 10.4 among alpha/beta, as well as Ubuntu,
Xubuntu, and Lubuntu. Not one of them has ever gotten to the desktop.
The last two (betas for Ubuntu and Lubuntu) finally got to an error:

init: ureadahead-other main process (xxxx) terminated with status 4

All CD processing stops; the desktop never appears. I have to use a
paperclip to force eject the CD and then use the power button to
shutdown. (Note: the very first 3 CDs only displayed a blue bar across
the bottom of the screen and never even got to an error.)

I have a pre-installed system since 7.10; have faithfully done every
update/upgrade; and only have these extras: Xiphos, GRAMPS, and BOINC
(but the BOINC was a binary). As these are on my HD, they probably mean
nothing to the Live CD situation.

The HW, which I have not ever changed, is: MSI P4M890M3-V motherboard
(onboard video, sound, LAN), Samsung SyncMaster 152N monitor, Logitech
keyboard, and Dynex mouse. Other CDs (latest PC-BSD and even GhostBSD)
will boot to their desktops.

I am just worried that an online update/upgrade will prevent my HD from
booting.

Thank you.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-openchrome (Ubuntu)

--
LiveCD boot hangs before desktop is shown
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/545367