Well, it's quite complicated and took me one full day to talk to upstream, look
at the involved code, and so on…
You can have a look at the source upload or upstream bug, but in a nutshell:
- we don't use loose right control key in the oss layout :)
- we just loose the modifier combo like "right control" + a letter (or any
other key).

This is less used than space in rhythmbox or totem. So the choice made
was that one. I recommend you to see upstream bug as well as the one
listed in the changelog (#198759), all duplicates, and the upstream one
of #198759 to get the whole map.

This explains why the bug wasn't fixed for so long.

--
Can't use space bar in search bar when using french alternative keyboard
which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in ubuntu.