I also have this problem with the ALPS GlidePoint trackpad on my HP Mini
311 on Lucid Beta 2.  The buttons and tap to click work but edge
scrolling quite working, changes to "Mouse Preferences"  have no impact
and 2-finger scroll is grayed-out of mouse preferences.  This was
working until a daily build approximately 2-3 days ago.

--
Alps touchpad is recognized but neither gsynaptics nor mouse preferences work
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.