Hi
I've added screenshots of what happens during boot.

Screenshot 1 - The error that shows up.
Screenshot 2 - The choices after you click on OK.

Run ubuntu in low-graphics mode - it loads with guest additions and the display
size is 800x600 with bad graphics, no usb support etc.
Reconfigure graphics - You see screenshot 3. If I click on any of these choices
then the screenshot 3 comes back up. Cancel to go back to screenshot 2
Restart X - you get screenshot 4 and it stays on it forever. I have force the
shutdown and restart it at which point I get screenshot 1 again.

Screenshot 5 shows the (virtual) hardware config I'm using for ubuntu
10.04, it is the default choices.

** Attachment added: "screenshots.zip"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/44253287/screenshots.zip

--
Ubuntu 10.04 graphics crash when run as guest in VirtualBox
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.