We're having problems with your graphics chip in Lucid.  Some people
experience severe instability, and some of what we've done to try and
fix that has made other systems less stable.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Bugs/Lucidi8xxFreezes has a list of work-
arounds for people experiencing these problems - I think that “Enabling
KMS” is the one that will work for you.

Could you please check whether that works for you?

--
[i855gm] xorg with 2.6.32 kernel halt system when load on Intel 855GM with
xserver-xorg-video-intel driver