Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xserver-xorg-video-ati

On Lucid RC live cd.

When KMS enabled (it is by default)
Booting up results in my external 1680x1050 lcd monitor runs at 1152x864 mode.

My LCD is connected to dvi port of laptop. LVDS runs at mode 1400x1050.

running:
xrandr --output LVDS --off
xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto

result in LCD running correct resolution 1680x1050 but garbled and
totally unreadable.

Booting with radeon.modeset=0 solves this.

Conclusion: KMS problem.

** Affects: xserver-xorg-video-ati (Ubuntu)

--
[rv200 kms] Picks wrong preferred mode - Garbled if changed
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.