this problem had definitely nothing to do with nvidia since people with intel
and ati graphics card have the same problem.
I allowed myself to change the status from invalid to to confirmed - this bug
has been out there now for 2.5 years and people are still having the problem.
I'm also switching the package from linux-restricted-modules to libxrandr - but
I'm not sure whether this is really the correct package.
How can we help to further debug / fix this problem?

** Package changed: linux-restricted-modules-2.6.22 (Ubuntu) =>
libxrandr (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: libxrandr (Ubuntu)

--
RandR loaded, but missing
which is subscribed to libxrandr in ubuntu.