While I agree that this could be better, this is not something we can fix in
ubuntu or just ask upstream to fix. Two possible approaches that may have some
chance of reaching the people who actually implement this:
- File a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org (Product: DRI, Component: DRM/intel)
emails from non-developers and especially those that are not to-the-point are
frequently ignored.

I'm closing this bug report.

--
[GM45] Bad resulution choice for mirror mode with two 16:10 displays
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.