The answer seems to be to work *with* powermizer, not against it. :)

        Option  "RegistryDwords"        "PowerMizerEnable=0x1;
PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"

This enables it and tells it to use one speed only. The default values
tell it what speed everything should run at.

I used this document to come up with these values:
http://tutanhamon.com.ua/technovodstvo/NVIDIA-UNIX-driver/

YMMV (and it's your mileage, so vary it as you wish).

My Zotac GT240 “ZONE” seems to be stable so far, but I haven't tested it
for very long yet. Hard to test with a bug that only shows up once every
so often.

cheers,

--
nvidia GT 240 has frequent hard locks
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.