I have recently upgraded to Lucid. Unfortunately, no apparent progress with
intel graphics performance. Neither with official packages nor with any ppa
(x-updates, xorg-edgers), which include 2.11 version of the graphics driver and
7.9 of mesa and 1.8 of Xorg. In all configurations that I have tried I got
nothing beyond some subtle changes in performance (no more than 10 per cent,
increasing as well as decreasing). That are just formal changes in the fps
reported by tux/glxgears/glblur, apparently there is no changes at all. I
remember that 1.5 yrs ago the old intel driver on my laptop was apparently much
faster... Since the time when I had done an upgrade of this old system, I am
still waiting and waiting until the graphics performance is restored, but it
does not, neither with adding support of DRI2, nor KMS, nor with all the
features added to the 2.11 version. Actually, upgrade of the graphics drivers
to the ones with DRI2 in Jaunty and KMS in Karmic both caused only regressions
in performance, at least to my seeing.
The 2.4 driver available for Jaunty just does not work in Karmic (causes a
corrupted screen) and in Lucid it causes broken dependencies, so I could not
install it.
:(

--
[i965] [i965] [karmic][GM965] low intel graphics performance - again
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.