On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 6:13 AM, apinunt <jrzins...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking further, at System-Admin-Update Manager, I see "Other updates
> (LP-PPA-bryceharrington-purple)" are available.
> Two updates were shown, xserver-common (Size 80 KB) and xserver-xorg-core
> (Size 2.0 MB) so I applied them and rebooted, and so far it appears to have
> eliminated the problem of crashing to the login screen. The other anomalies
> are minor and cosmetic so I'll live with them.

Sounds like you're patched!  :-)

I just installed the final release of Kubuntu 10.04 LTS, experienced
the problem, applied the patch, and it does just fine.  While this is
definitely an issue that is cross-platform (hardware: gpu: ati radeon
and nVidia nouveau; software: gnome, xfce, kde), and it happens on
install and on liveCD, my newer laptop (2008 vintage) does not appear
to have this problem (ati/kde/live).

--
[MASTER] Lucid 2.6.32-16 crashed to login screen - miCopyRegion
which is the registrant for xserver-xorg-driver-ati.