I have a DELL XPS STUDIO, with ATI/AMD proprietary fglrx driver and an ATI HD
3670 video-card.
I had the problem concerning the maximizing/resizing windows low speed with
Ubuntu Karmic: solved with no-back-fill ppa.
Now I upgraded to Lucid Lynx and the problem came back (I was so happy to know
that! :)

Unfortunately none of the solutions you listed worked for me (xserver-
xorg-1.7.6-gc ppa, "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy", "AccelMethod XAA",
Harrington's ppa, amdccle->disable option, no-backclear patch, etc.).

I then decided to remove the proprietary fglrx driver, but I have a
crash and something goes wrong and the result is that I can't install
the ATI open-source driver.

(I guess I'll have to wait for an update of the fglrx driver... I would
ask you: is it an automatic update or do I have to add some ppa to my
software sources?)

--
[Lucid][Ubuntu 10.04][ATI cards] Slow/freeze windows management (resize,
maximise, .etc) with fglrx driver + compositing desktop.