I have this problem as well although for me it's not as serious. My
Packard Bell Easynote MZ35 suspends properly but at resume, all I get is
a black screen with no disk activity. But holding down the power key for
a few seconds is enough to shut it down, then restart in the usual way.
This was reported earlier in

I also found graphics performance was worse under 10.04 than under 9.04
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/576125

There were problems related to the Radeon Xpress 200m with 10.04 beta 1 and
beta 2, the liveCD would not boot

Looks like the Radeon 200m isn't the best card for Ubuntu :-(

--
[RC410] Xpress 200M hangs when resuming from suspend with DRI, with or without
KMS