Checked and yes, you're wright: ASRock motherboard, AMI BIOS and Samsung
Syncmaster 732N. Also the CPU and graphics are the ones you mentioned.
The issue happens after logging in, specially if nothing is done for a few
minutes.
I'm trying to install the drm-intel-next kernel, but I keep getting a "wrong
architecture" message, both with i386 and amd64 versions. I'll keep trying.
Thanks!

--
10.04 - Xorg Crash: Video device settings could not be detected correctly
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.