Ive found out why the error messages are displayed/X crashes:

Its because of the ghost drawing effect in xmoto.

I have by default activated: use motion blur ghost.
My gfx hardware doesnt support that effect, and throws driver error
messages.
In ubuntu 8.10 with older intel drivers, this was probably catched by
the driver, because I also had it activated, but never a problem with it.

So calling a openGL function which is not supported by the hardware
produces a failing gfx driver (for newer intel driver versions).

--
[i965gm] X often crashes when starting xmoto levels (i915 GPU hung)
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.