So now I ran without Desktop Effects for ~24hrs and got a crash that didn't
lock up the PC. Xorg.0.log didn't show anything interesting but kern.log had
some good info which I'll attach.
Next step I'll try the mainline kernel as suggested. Should I just download the
*.deb files or could I add a line to sources.list - and if the latter what
should it look like? (apt sometimes is a bit confusing to me).

** Attachment added: "kern.log"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/49260782/kern.log.txt

--
[865g] X locks up solid with HD thrashing
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.