It is good to see some folk getting 10.04+855GM working using various
new kernels, but I expect I am not alone in saying that I am unlikely to
load 10.04 on my 855GM Toshiba Satellite A10 (still 9.04 after a poor
experience with 9.10 also) until:

1 Upstream release a newer kernel that works really well with 855GM (IF it's
possible) and is ...
2 ... cut into Ubuntu 10.04 as a respin, so that I can simply download the CD,
install and enjoy

I might just about cope with a special install (boot time options re
vesa, 915 nosplash etc), provided that an immediately following update
pulls the new kernel and leaves the machine perfect from then on!

I expect there are many who want to convert from the dark side who would
not be prepared to do even that.

In the meantime I am actually considering refreshing the Toshiba with a
repeat install of 9.04 (I like to do a clean reload every year or so,
even with Ubuntu but especially of W... you know what).

If 1 and possibly 2 does not happen, I am likely to move the ~8 year old
Toshiba back to its original WXP and find someone else who wants it.  I
never had any screen trouble with it under WXP.

I believe 855GM has some fundamental flaws, and it certainly has some
limitations that have begun to annoy me as high resolution second
screens become available, namely its max 2048x2048 virtual display
space.  For nice intuitive use, you REALLY do want a second screen that
is on the right hand side of the desk also to be VIRTUALLY on the right
hand side of the laptop screen, and that cannot happen with 855GM if the
second screen is more than 1024 wide (hard to get one as small as that
now!!).

So for me, perhaps it is time to retire the Toshiba to light duties
elsewhere, and move on.  Sad for one like me who likes to squeeze the
last reasonable drop of use out of everything!!  And for me it has been
a very good machine.

All the best to the gurus working on this!

--
MASTER: [i855] GPU lockup (apport-crash)
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.