I believe I have the same problem as the OP's.  I'm just working on
whatever task and gnome stops updating(although the mouse with still
move around with the cursor of whatever it was over last.  I'm unable to
drop to console or ctrl-alt-backspace.  I am however able to ssh in from
another machine and top shows Xorg at 100% with what appears to be the
same stack trace as the OP's in the Xorg.log.  I always seem to have
Firefox open with flash running(although given the web these days that
is pretty much all the time).  I can attach my files as well if that
would help

--
EQ overflowing
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in ubuntu.