Also affects me , ACER EXTENSA 7620g with Ati Mobility Radeon HD 2400XT.
Desktop is very slow, slow minimizing, maximizing, open aplications.
With open source driver the system is very fast but open gl in games is
slow, I can play Open Arena only with minimal details and resolution.
Also I mention that Ati proprietary driver make system to raise from 170
MB RAM usage to 470 MB.

--
[M76] [ubuntu 9.04] [ubuntu 9.10] [ubuntu 10.04] slow unminimizing with ati
card and desktop effects enabled