Unfortunately, the problem isn't solved after all. I still have the
occasional (and rather frequent, it feels) keyboard and mouse lag.
Moreover, which might be related, I sometimes don't get to the login
screen at all. I'm just left at the splash screen forever and am forced
to use the power button to get out. Looking through my log files, I see
these three types of warning repeatedly:

gdm-session-worker[1287]: WARNING: Unable to load file '/etc/gdm/custom.conf':
Filen eller katalogen finns inte
gdm-binary[880]: WARNING: Unable to find users: no seat-id found
gdm-simple-greeter[1379]: Gtk-WARNING:
/build/buildd/gtk+2.0-2.20.1/gtk/gtkwidget.c:5636: widget not within a GtkWindow

Could this be a GDM bug?

--
[lucid] Keyboard and mouse freeze after grub, usb and PS/2 keyboard not working
in X (after upgrade? bad-upgrade to lucid)