Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xorg

I've got a slightly strange problem that I'm filing as a bug since it
might potentially hit other users.  Basically the desktop is not
updating/refreshing properly when I log into my pre-existing user after
re-installing with Lucid from scratch. (I have a seperate /home
partition and usually upgrade by nuking the system partition and
reinstalling while retaining my /home partition and user files.  This
has not been a problem until now.)

Things I've tried:
1.) Created a new test user with no prior history.  This presents no problem.
2.) User my original user as is.  Doesn't work -- desktop displays but any
further clicks/windows are not displayed unless you switch displays in some
fashion (VT switch, Super-E and back to zoom out and zoom in again) or such, at
which point the display does update as expected, but is then stuck again as
before.
3.) I've tried overwriting/copying the clean-state test user's profile files on
top of my existing user account files.  Behaviour is same as reported in 2.)
This implies that the problem is possibly caused by a remnant or setting taken
over from my prior install that's not been overwritten by the copy from the
test user.

Any suggestions on how to track down what might be wrong and/or which
configuration folders I should nuke to try and rectify this problem
would be appreciated.

ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.04
Package: xorg 1:7.5+5ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-21.32-generic 2.6.32.11+drm33.2
Uname: Linux 2.6.32-21-generic x86_64
Architecture: amd64