More info:  I have tried thrashing this computer every way I can think
of: massive swapping, multiple high-CPU processes, large network load,
etc.  None of these cause a crash.  Its "berserk button" is this one
page:

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Haplogroup_H_(mtDNA)

Opening it in Firefox usually induces an immediate crash with the
symptoms described above.  By removing that tab and not viewing it
again, the problem has not returned for several weeks.  To be safe, I'm
not updating any packages for now.

--
computer becomes unresponsive a few minutes after booting (karmic)
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.