On Tuesday 22 June 2010 09:44:44 you wrote:
> Hi Simon, thanks for the update. In the future, please submit such large
> texts as attachments to make them easier to read. (You can give them
> different descriptions to differentiate with your old log.)
>
> It seems like your configuration is pretty weird. The default nouveau
> driver is failing to load because you have some proprietary NVIDIA
> leftovers on your system. Could you make sure the packages nvidia-
> current, nvidia-173, and nvidia-96 are not installed?
>
> sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current nvidia-173 nvidia-96
>
> Then try again without an xorg.conf and we'll see how it does. Thanks
> for your patience.

David,

The short response is "that appeared to work", thanks!

Now a bit more detail to outline what was done.

As requested I have attached my comments and associated files as text files.
What I did and the results are outlined in the sequence file. Note that
although the "dual screen" issue appears to be resolved my screens appear to
get confused on boot with the primary monitor flashing a mosaic of 2x2 cm grids
all over the bottom half of the screen. Once the log-on screen appears
everything appears OK and works OK.

--
Cheers Simon

        Simon Cropper
        Botanicus Australia Pty Ltd
        PO Box 160 Sunshine 3020
        P: 03 9311 5822. M: 041 830 3437
        W: http://www.botanicusaustralia.com.au

** Attachment added: "Sequence"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/50713299/Sequence

** Attachment added: "Xorg.0.log"
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/50713300/Xorg.0.log

--
Display manager in Ubuntu 9.10 not working with dual displays properly
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nv in ubuntu.