I switched to the nouveau driver. After that I had resolution problems
(only 800x600 instead of 1280x1024). I found out that the kvm swich
cannot handle edid (ddc). So I substituted the kvm switch from "Belkin
Switch2 USB" (Model # F1DG102U-USB) to Digitus DC-11403. In the end the
issue of this bug was gone. I think the major problem is the new
autoconfiguration way of lucid in association with the edid-blocking of
the kvm switch. Perhaps anyone can post a hint to the lucid release
notes to point out the new behavior and problems with some kvm switches.

--
display turns on and off and on and off...
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-71 in ubuntu.