I repeated test 3 with boot options changed to remove "quiet" and
"splash" and add "drm.debug=0x02". The result was that kernel messages
ran across the laptop screen at some low resolution until reaching the
error "ureadahead main process (381) failed with status 5" then the
screen went blank. The system didn't continue on any further. I didn't
see the message about plymouthd.

I repeated test 1 with the same boot options as above. The result was
that kernel messages ran across the laptop screen at some low resolution
until reaching the error "ureadahead main process (381) failed with
status 5", then the screen switched to a higher resolution and a few
more kernel messages ran across the screen. Then X started. After I
plugged in the screen and ran xrandr -q the screen went blank and the
ssh session stopped working shortly after. There wasn't enough time to
get any debugging info.

It seems that the splash option makes no difference.

--
[arrandale] X freezes after plugging in external monitor and selecting
System>Preferences>Monitors