I have an easy fix for the i830m chip set problem, which I endure on a
2002 Fujitsu laptop.  I tested a very large number of distros and the
one that just worked flawlessly (for me) was Lubuntu 10.04.  It's clam
to fame is that it's for older hardware, and since my laptop is 8 years
old, it qualified.

Don't be put off by the selection of small footprint apps. I just
downloaded the bigger stuff like openoffice.odg since I have the memory
and hard drive space to handle it.

--
[hardy] X freezes system after cold boot on i830M using DRI
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.