Could this have something to do with IRQ routing? I noticed on some
other thread somebody saying that uninstalling the irqbalance daemon
made the freezes go away. An IRQ routing problem might explain the
randomness of the freezes, as everybody has different hardware on
different IRQ's. If the kernel stops responding to some random interrupt
the results would depend entirely on which hardware it belongs to and
would seem random to the user.

I myself so far have had my USB mouse freeze a few times. Sometimes ten
seconds after logging in, sometimes after many hours. Sometimes the
keyboard still worked, and sometimes the entire system was frozen. This
is on Lucid 64-bit.

--
Ubuntu 10.04 random freezes
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.