To sum up.

My system always boots on the low graphics mode,

When in low graphics mode and I press CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to the console,
there is usualy no text.

BUT if there are text I can restart X and get the nvidia dirver up and
running.

If I during boot enter grub and press 'e' to edit,and CTRL-x to boot it
is more likely that en login prompt will be visible - actually just
booting without entering grub has not worked for me since 2010-07-12

--
Xorg fails with "NVIDIA(0): Failed to allocate primary buffer: out of memory."
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.