Nope, but id did just now, but the performance stays the same.
I did upgrade a small laptop which is using a nVidia 8400M GS chip to Meercat
Alpha 2+ and it's performing way better..
Don't know exactly what changed (yet), but is seems to use the same Compiz and
nVidia driver.
My nvidia-settings have the same version as the driver (256.35), delaying it's
startup seems to make a little difference until I open lots of windows, which
actually is kinda the same as this issue in general.
The more windows the less the frames per second seem to be.

Will investigate the difference between Lucid and Meercat concerning
this issue when I've got some spare time left.

Spending time trying to resolve issues in a free os is more or less a
must too me, it will benefit us all and will make a better product.
(Regressions make me kinda wonder if it's all worth the effort though)

--
[Lucid] Loading nvidia-settings hurts compiz performance
which is subscribed to nvidia-settings in ubuntu.