Hi Benjamin.  This is the first I've heard of this bug, so I'll try to
take a look at it as soon as I can.

Please note that just checking for the NV-CONTROL extension is not
sufficient, because some screens may be using the NVIDIA driver while
others use different drivers.  If the extension exists, you can use
XNVCTRLIsNvScreen to query if a given screen is using the NVIDIA driver.
However, please don't do that.  I'd much rather just fix the driver if
it's broken then have a driver-specific workaround in place that we need
to get rid of eventually.

--
Buttons rendered wrong (with white background) with nvidia-current
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.