I was able to work around this issue today by editing the xorg.conf file
to use the 'nv' driver, which at least allowed me to boot regularly.

I then used the Administration > Hardware Drivers applet to install the
(latest) nvidia-current drivers, which allowed me to restart fine. I now
have full nvidia drivers, and my xorg.conf is identical to what it was
before the upgrade.

I'm going to assume the "Hardware Drivers" applet updated one of the
relevant packages or performed some other magic that made it work, but I
have no idea what it was.

--
nVidia card : X won't start since 1.9 update, no screens found
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.