Just a few observations with the new ppa.

The framerate has dropped dramatically.  I can no longer view full-
screen flash video.  Compiz no longer works - I've had to resort to
using metacity compositing.  On boot, plymouth is low resolution, with
the old Karmic double black-graphics flash when moving from plymouth to
the GDM.

Having said all that, graphics seem rock-solid without any graphical
glitches and panel refresh issues with the 2.6.35-rc6 "ppa:brian-rogers
/graphics-fixes" kernel.

I tried adding i915.modeset=1 to the grub boot option.  However, whilst
this fixed the low resolution plymouth, the GDM was never displayed -
just a black-screen.  I tried with both i915.modeset=1 and without the
"shadow" = "true" in xorg.conf.  This resulted in the infamous GLib-
WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0) issue.

 I also tried without i915.modeset=1 and without "shadow"="true".  To be
honest, the only difference that I observed was that the framerate with
full screen graphics was slightly faster, but still unwatchable.

Tested using: VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)

On a separate issue - before testing the new ppa,  I cant use the
2.6.35-v9patch1-generic "ppa:brian-rogers/graphics-fixes" kernel since
the mouse cursor is not displayed.  On this issue, this new kernel for
me has regressed since the rc-6 kernel that had the incoherency  fix.

--
MASTER: [i855] GPU lockup (apport-crash)
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.