I had the same problem when upgrading my MSI Wind from Karmic to Lucid.
When I tried to remove all the NVIDIA stuff through synaptic, synaptic
told me that the mythtv packages depended on libvdpau. Maybe that's why
the nvidia driver got installed?

I opted to remove mythtv (since I moved to xbmc recently anyway) and
after a quick uninstall/reboot everything was functional again (netbook-
launcher was constantly restarting for me).

--
 Problem fluidity
which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers in ubuntu.