hi Jamie,

good news on my end:  since #72 and its tweaks, my issues are gone, now
gdm logging is ok, tested several reboots along this day and no problem.

So i might conclude that old (udev) conf was breaking this gdm/X stuff,
dont know exactly where to find the good explanations as i've
purged/reinstalled several packages at once (have removed lot of python
files too) and finished by reinstalling ubuntu-desktop.

Its not the first time that ive fixed issues by purging/reinstalling as
its the easiest way to fix lot of troubles, sadly "dpkg configure"
and/or "dpkg-reconfigure" is not clever enough to rebuild good conf, and
other tools like gtkorphan / gconf-cleaner / bleachbit, that i often
used, dont know how to remove these so many old /wrong settings left
behind. Ubuntu / Linux might work on these tools instead of spending
time fixing such garbage.

--
X starts on wrong tty: pressing enter after 5 minutes crashes X
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.