OK, further information: I can trigger it with most of the special keys
on the keyboard--documents, home, favourites, play/pause, mute, zoom
in... The only ones I've so far found that don't do it are five numbered
buttons, and trying to assign those to shortcuts suggests that Ubuntu
doesn't recognise them at all. I see the right click menu when I first
press one of the buttons that triggers it, then clicks (and scroll wheel
movements) stop doing anything. The normal effects of hovering over
items, i.e. highlights, tooltips, also don't happen.

It may be unrelated, but in the 'custom shortcuts' module in system
settings, there's a checkbox for "Start input actions daemon on login."
This is checked, so I tried unchecking it and restarting, but it's
checked again when I go back to it.

** Summary changed:

- Stops responding to mouse clicks
+ Keyboard special keys interfere with mouse

--
Keyboard special keys interfere with mouse
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.