It's a pleasure for me to report that a recent Clutter update seems to
have fixed the white screen bug and cleared the stage for a working
Unity interface! Thanks to all who have contributed to fix this problem!

There are only minor rendering issues left which don't hurt usability
badly, but certainly need to be fixed in order to make a good
impression. I'm going to report my new findings in a separate bug.

--
Major rendering issues using ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
which is subscribed to mesa in ubuntu.