I'm going to try the other packages now.  Here is some move information
I found out though.  After doing those updates, the screen is not
exactly banded as described this time.  The bands are the desktop
switcher squares, as conformed by watching the strange movements when I
do an ctrl+alt+right arrow and so forth.  Also I noticed that moving my
fingers on the mouse pad caused a solid vertical line to move from left
to right.  As though it is a giant cursor that I'm seeing.  Also the
colors reflect the colors of the desktop.

It's almost like I'm looking at the desktop on such a scale that it
looks like bands of color.  Now, keep in mind that this DOES differ from
the install with ALL the updates, and it DOES differ from the LiveCD
which looks exactly like a full install with all the updates.  I'll test
as indicated above and report back.

--
[RV350] Desktop corruption – Screen only shows vertical bands
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.