Lucid was updated to xorg 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.3 recently and I found a
significant improvement over the previous version. However, that only
means lucid is now as bad as karmic was on the SVGA interface, so don't
get too pleased! (Presumably a regression bug was fixed.) (Also, the
behaviour of the openchrome driver has improved in the same way.)

The EDID now seems to be consistent between the HDI and VGA interfaces,
and xorg is deriving the correct mode data, virtual size and display
dimensions in both cases. The HDI image is close enough to perfect,
while the VGA image is useable again (ie. fully displayed but with a 20
mm black left margin and slightly shifted off the top of the screen).

The only significant difference now is the computed dpi: HDI uses
(96,96) (which makes NO SENSE based on the EDID data), while VGA
calculates the correct value from the mode and screen dimensions
(101,100). Last time I tried to override dpi it was ignored, so I will
try again with the new xorg.

Incidentally, I am now convinced this problem is being made very much
worse by the screen itself. It seems to be too clever for its own good,
but I can't be more precise yet. For example, I have a VGA KVM switch:
when I switch from one to another system with identical VIA chips and
the openchrome driver, the screen alignment is crazy and not the same
(possibly 2048x1152). When I power on the NVIDIA VGA system the image
starts off with quite good alignment, but when I move to another VGA
machine and then return, the screen "auto adjusts" to create the black
margin. Only a power-off of the NVIDIA VGA system (not a system reset)
followed by a factory reset of the Dell display gets me (temporarily)
back to a decent image. I've searched for options on the screen to make
it "more stupid", but haven't found anything yet.

--
Invalid EDID for Dell SP2309W in VGA mode
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in ubuntu.