peakit, as a user/tester "what so fundamental changed:"

Back on Intrepid Compiz decided to use some video code paths no one else
does so wham black screen.  Easy fix, don't run Compiz eye candy.
Doesn't have anything to do with applications as they run.

Next the dread "KMS" showed up where the kernel as it was booting up
turned on video graphics mode.  Oops, X windows uses video graphics mode
too.  Seems to me lots of problems co-ordinating the kernel use of video
graphics vs. X windows use.  Some of the developers claim KMS is a big
advantage switching users since no graphics mode reset is needed.  I
never ever switch  users.  Ever.  Also switching to command line with
Ctrl-Alt-F1 and back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7 works better too.  Only time
I ever do that is for chasing bugs where Ubuntu is broken big time.  The
developers also allude to some future plans which I haven't seen
elaborated.

At various update levels the "KMS" code has killed my ati video graphics
to say nothing of the many trials and tribulations on my two intel pc's.

That's my viewpoint just looking at Ubuntu as a "black box".  I haven't
the faintest idea why developers want to affect video graphics all the
time as it runs just so switching users will go more smoothly.  Must be
some other reason....

Jerry

--
MASTER: [i845] GPU lockup (apport-crash) (Should KMS be blacklisted?)
which is the registrant for xf86-video-intel.