Alvaro, your solution does solve the symptoms (thanks!!), but a peek at
my xrandr output leads me to believe that the underlying problem may not
be gone.

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1024 x 768, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DVI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
LVDS connected 1024x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768       60.0*+   60.0
   1360x768       59.8
   800x600        60.3     59.9
   848x480        59.7
   720x480        59.7
   640x480        59.9     59.4
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

It's still detecting my 1024x768 laptop display as 1360x768 CAPABLE
which is quite incorrect. I'm using a T42 Thinkpad with the M7 (Radeon
Mobility 7500)

Thanks for your solution and any additional consideration to this issue!

--
Screen with 4:3 ratio incorrectly detected as having 16:9 ratio
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-ati in ubuntu.