Hello, I have to confirm  -  i am experiencing these problems .
The real disaster is 3d turned on + nvidia_default or manufacturer nvidia
driver  - the crashes of the whole laptop are very frequent. Approx 5 minutes
without crash. With 3D and HDMI  I have only green and red mangled stripes.
It always happens when I work with monitors.
HP dv9849em
Ubuntu 10.04 2.6.32-25-generic
nVidia Corporation G86 [GeForce 8600M GS] (rev a1).

--
10.0.4 powermac g5 video artifacts
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.