I'm reluctant to post this, but it's been over 2 weeks since I've made
note of when this happens, and not once in that time has it happened
when TVTime was *not* running. I don't see any active development on
TVTime, but the last batch of updates included screensaver-related fixes
which may be the cause of this SHIFT_L problem?

I've spent over 12 hours in a session without it happening (no TVTime),
yet within the hour I can repeatedly make it happen whilst running
TVTime.

--
shift key get stuck randomly
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-keyboard in ubuntu.