As a workaround, I was able to get the nvidia-96 drivers working, but it
isn't quite seamless.  First, I removed all nvidia packages that were
currently installed (with --purge), then selected and installed the
nvidia-96 drivers by searching "nvidia" within the "Ubuntu Software
Center" and selecting "nvidia-96".

At this point the display would not start with the xorg.conf generated
by the "nvidia-xconfig" utility.  If you tried to start X with this
xorg.conf file, you'd get a complaint that it couldn't find the nvidia
driver.

Without an xorg.conf file, X would start, but set to a lower resolution
with no ability to switch to 1920x1200.

At some point, I wondered if the nouveau driver was conflicting.  I
removed the xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package (again with --purge) and
then (with no xorg.conf file) the nvidia 96 driver started working
correctly with full resolution.

So the working config is:

jo...@johnn-craylap:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i nvidia
nvidia-96                                       install
nvidia-glx-96                                   install
nvidia-settings                                 install
jo...@johnn-craylap:~$ dpkg --get-selections | grep -i nouve
libdrm-nouveau1                                 install
jo...@johnn-craylap:~$ ls -al /etc/X11/xorg.conf
ls: cannot access /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory
jo...@johnn-craylap:~$

--
X display shows garbage w/ nouveau & Nvidia GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP rev a1
(NV28)