I have a similiar problem with a GeForce 8400GS and a Samsung SyncMaster
screen. The correct resolution is 1440x900x60, but it is detected as
1024x768x60, which is quite unacceptable. With the binary nVidia driver,
I can use a custom Modeline to force the correct mode. This has always
worked well, but with nouveau it doesn't work at all: X won't even
start, and I'm stuck with a command line login.

This is the only thing that keeps me from switching to nouveau. But I
refuse to work with 1024x768 on a 16x10 widescreen monitor :-( I am
otherwise extremely impressed with nouveau's progress.

I have attached my xorg.conf file for your convenience. I got the
modeline from cvt. gtf shows a slightly different modeline, but the
effects are identical. This problem affects both Lucid Lynx and Maverick
Meerkat.

** Attachment added: "xorg.conf"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/+bug/538275/+attachment/1686160/+files/xorg.conf

--
Nouveau not working with Modeline resolution in xorg.conf
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-nouveau in ubuntu.