I am also experiencing what appears to be the same issue, however not
only with Skype and Opera, but also with MusicBrainz Picard, VLC and
VirtualBox (non-OSE).

If I launch VLC from the command line with cvlc, the video opens in a
window with no sound, but launching standard vlc crashes, apparently
when you move the mouse over the VLC GUI. Similarly, I can open
VirtualBox, but as soon as I mouse over its GUI the system crashes.

Every time the system crashes, I get kicked back to the GDM login
screen.

If there are any logs that would help out, let me know and I'll dig them
up.

--
skype (and others) cause complete crash of xorg on startup/IO activity
which is subscribed to xorg in ubuntu.