I have this problem with the GA of 10.10 (upgrade from 10.04)

On my Samsung NC10 netbook running the standard Ubuntu Desktop Edition
10.04 had no issues with Compiz Wallpaper. On reboot and login,
subsequent to the upgrade, the session started but had all the freezing
& redrawing issues reported by others.

I had to reboot and turn off visual effect and add them back in one-by
one till identifying Wallpaper as the culprit. The workaround in #6 does
restore functionality but this is not a fix.

--
Compiz Wallpaper plugin broken in 10.10
which is subscribed to xorg-server in ubuntu.